Jail Locations, Visiting & Information
Santa Cruz Main Jail
259 Water Street
Santa Cruz, CA. 95060
Notice of Change - Main Jail Visitation Scheduling - effective 3/10/14
Notice of Change - Main Jail Visitation Scheduling - Spanish Version
Rules and Regulations
Attorneys licensed to practice law in the State of California and who possess a California Bar Card, or an attorney who is registered with the California Bar to represent an inmate pro hoc vice, may access jail inmates at any time. Access may be subject to procedural delays due to other priority activities occurring in the jail such as inmate feeding, counts or emergencies.
- All mail will be opened and checked for contraband.
- Postage stamps are NOT allowed.
- Pictures (4"x6" or smaller).
- Greeting cards must be single layer (no plastic coating or oversized).
- Books, newspapers and periodicals can only come from the publisher or Internet distributor (no hardbound books allowed).
- Publications that are obscene, intended to incite murder, arson, riot, racism, violence or material concerning gambling will not be allowed.
- Mail to/from other penal institutions is prohibited unless authorized by the Facility Commander.
- Mail must be addressed as follows:
Inmate Name, Inmate S#
Santa Cruz Main Jail
259 Water Street
Santa Cruz, CA 95060
Money can be left daily at the kiosks located in the Main Jail Lobby or the Rountree - Medium Facility (reception staff cannot take any inmate deposits). Kiosks accept cash and credit cards. Deposits are accepted 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Money orders (payable to the inmate) can still be mailed in. Credit card deposits can also be made at these websites: www.santacruzpackages.com.
Keys are the only items that will be released. (Exception: If an inmate has been sentenced to State Prison all property may be released.) Releases occur Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
The inmate is responsible for submitting a Visitor Clearance Form. The inmate will need each visitor’s full name, address, phone number, date of birth and a Government ID number (i.e. Drivers License, Passport, Matricula). The inmate submits the completed form to the Jail Staff for visiting clearance. Anyone who has been in custody within the past 60 days, is on parole or formal probation, has a warrant or restraining order prohibiting contact, may not visit.
We schedule appointments Wednesday and Thursday 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. prior to the weekend you want to visit. Visiting slots are available Saturdays, Sundays, and some Holidays and are scheduled according to the inmate housing assignments. Visits are approximately 45 minutes. You may call (831) 454-2420 to schedule an appointment.
- Visiting inmates is by appointment only and visitors must be approved in advance.
- Inmates must be in custody for 72 hours prior to having any visits.
- Appointments are required and must be made with the Reception Staff at least 24 hours in advance.
- Inmates are allowed two visits per week (only one visit per day).
- Visitors must arrive and register 30 minutes prior to their scheduled visit to avoid cancellation. Once you have checked in and your visit is called, if you are not in our lobby, the visit is cancelled. Any visitor canceling or missing a total of 3 visits will be banned from visiting for 30 days.
- Each visit may include up to 2 adults and 3 children. Adult visitors must present a valid photo ID (i.e. Drivers License, Passport, Matricula). A parent or legal guardian must accompany visitors under the age of 18. The parent must bring the minor’s birth certificate and the legal guardian must present court papers showing they are the legal guardian or provide a notarized letter along with the minor’s birth certificate. Minors cannot be left unattended in the lobby area, parking lot or any other area on the jail property.
- All visitors must be appropriately dressed. Clothing that is revealing, offensive, gang related or distracting to others will not be allowed. Shoes and shirts are required. Jail Staff will determine the appropriateness of the clothing.
- Misconduct or violation of the jail rules will result in immediate termination of the visit and may result in the termination of visiting privileges.
- Visitors will not be allowed to bring any property into the visiting room (i.e. cell phones, purses, pagers). Only 1 (one) key will be allowed. Lockers are available for 25 cents.
All visitors entering the secure area of the jail are subject to being searched. Any person refusing to be searched will be denied the visit and escorted from the facility.